Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2014

firewall-wizards Digest, Vol 70, Issue 6

Send firewall-wizards mailing list submissions to
firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
https://listserv.icsalabs.com/mailman/listinfo/firewall-wizards
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
firewall-wizards-request@listserv.icsalabs.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
firewall-wizards-owner@listserv.icsalabs.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of firewall-wizards digest..."


Today's Topics:

1. Interesting infographic on the history of firewalls (Dotzero)
2. Re: nipper studio experiences? (Mike Lloyd)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:37:27 -0400
From: Dotzero <dotzero@gmail.com>
Subject: [fw-wiz] Interesting infographic on the history of firewalls
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
<firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com>
Message-ID:
<CAJ4XoYdL4oQtuUz61LJn7N5QMH-y-Rf-zD+1tcC6Y_QCsxLt6g@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

http://www.net-security.org/images/articles/infographic-history-firewall-general.jpg

Accurate? Inaccurate? Thoughts.

Mike


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:59:32 +0000
From: Mike Lloyd <drmike@redsealnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] nipper studio experiences?
To: "firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com"
<firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com>
Message-ID:
<dfc06e7c0c3243a1917479c769b028fd@BLUPR06MB323.namprd06.prod.outlook.com>

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Marcus,

Definitely fair comment, except for one point: I certainly didn't refer to my own product as "smart", since I share your worries about the vacuity of that label. Indeed, I think I can fairly say, on a re-read, that I offered no characterization of my own work at all.

I see the merit of your broad point that all security products take some input, and process it by some rules. This is simultaneously interesting but shallow. It's a little difficult to see how ANY computer program wouldn't meet the description you're using (unless, say, we special case industrial control systems, which take "kinetic domain" feedback). I don't mean "shallow" to belittle your point; I like it, I'm just saying that it's a bit like saying all humans are cabon-based - true, and a good basis for going on to say other things, but not all that deep in itself.

My point is more about connotation than denotation. Consider the example I offered: a document spell checker. By your terms, this takes inputs and processes it by a set of rules. It's legitimate to call this an "expert" system, referring to the "expertise" of the careful speller who set it up. Technically, fair enough. But in common parlance, I don't think that's what most people are thinking about when they say "expert system" - I believe they mean something closer to rarified or esoteric experience that is expensive when purchased (or rented) in human packaging. Dictionaries aren't expensive.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't even call my own work an "expert system" in my sense (even though it certainly is in yours), but that's because of my own academic history, which gave me a mild aversion to the label. (It became a byword for "clever technology that sits on a shelf, because nobody trusts it when real decisions are on the line". Skynet is not really all that likely, for the simple reasons that humans don't like such things, and that in practice, they don't actually deliver on the hype/expectation.) If it's interesting - I'm not here to advertise, but you did imply I needed to defend a position - I'd call what I do "network security analytics". The "analytics" label sits better, for me, than "expert system", because it carries a mild sense that it's used BY experts (firewall wizards, let's say), not to REPLACE experts.

Happy to discuss, although anyone should feel free to suggest we move to the firewall-philosophers list instead :-)

Mike



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
firewall-wizards mailing list
firewall-wizards@listserv.icsalabs.com
https://listserv.icsalabs.com/mailman/listinfo/firewall-wizards


End of firewall-wizards Digest, Vol 70, Issue 6
***********************************************

No comments: