- IACHR: Mexico slow to grant access to soldiers in missing students case
- El Menchito detained for the 4th time....
- EL Menchito once again free
Posted: 02 Jul 2015 02:48 AM PDT
In late 2014 an agreement was signed by the government of Mexico, the families of the missing students from the Ayotzinapa Normal School, and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights to create a team of experts to analyze the government's investigation of the missing students and make recommendations.
.Four months after initiating proceedings, the Commission experts warn the federal government has only delivered 30% of the requested information completely, while 24 percent have been answered partially and the rest are being processed.
The Commission has made some progress and in a press conference last week announced that since their last report in May they visited the Iguala police station, the dump in Cocula where the government says the students' remains were burned and the river where the ashes were allegedly dumped. They also said they had interviewed former Iguala Mayor Jose Luis Abarca and his wife, Maria de los Angeles Pineda, who the government has said ordered the capture of the students. The team, which was formed to analyze the government's investigation and make recommendations, has two months remaining on its mandate.
The investigators said one of the biggest obstacles to pursuing their investigation is that the military has not allowed them to interview 27 soldiers that evidence suggests have some knowledge of the events of Sept. 26 and 27 last year.
The government says students from a rural teachers college in the state of Guerrero were seized by police in Iguala on Sept. 26, and turned over to a criminal gang that killed and incinerated them. The remains of only one of the students have been identified.
Some of the students say soldiers were present during the shootings and abductions on the 26th.
When the team pushed for an answer to their request which was made 3 months ago to interview the soldiers, the military said it was still "evaluating the validity of the source" that made the request and that "the official answer is that there is no answer".
There are only 2 months left on the teams mandate as set forth in the agreement signed to create the team.
Other problems of access have been, the visual inspections of the government of Guerrero files and satellite photographs that the PGR has not delivered. In addition, there have been no safeguarding of evidence, such as the commercial buses the students on and they were shot. Currently they are operating in the transport companies
The IACHR team has not released much of their findings preferring to release them in total in the final report.
But one discrepency in the Governments version of events in the case was their finding concerning the body of Julio Cesar Mondragon, the student whose body was found skinned hours after the attack normalistas Ayotzinapa, was tortured before his death.
The government medical examiner said animals may have chewed the skin off of his face.
"At our autopsy, based on scientific evidence the skin was removed from his face and indicates that there are other pre-mortem injuries of torture, obviously. There is no other explanation that could cause severe skull fractures that he had or causes lung hematoma, or hematoma behind the abdomen of the size he had, "said Carlos Beristain, one of the experts.
The team of experts, include Angela Buitrago, a Colombian expert, Spain's Carlos Beristain, Guatemala's Claudia Paz, Chile's Francisco Cox and Colombia's Alejandro Valencia.
Their final report which will analyze the governments investigation should be interesting. The governments reaction to the teams findings may be more interesting.
Posted: 01 Jul 2015 04:03 PM PDT
Lucio R. Borderland Beat material from Reforma used
read backstory of his ordered release here
After a federal court judge ordered the release of Rubén Oseguera González, "El Menchito", he was picked up via a Blackhawk helicopter at the federal prison Altiplano No. 1, and transferred to SEIDO (Special investigations of Organized Crime) arriving at 4:30 pm.
Shadowing the Blackhawk was a second helicopter carrying artillery and snipers.
"El Menchito" will be made available to the Special Unit on Kidnapping of SEIDO to testify about the disappearance of two people in Michoacán.
The Attorney General's Office has now detained the son of the premier leader of CJNG or the fourth time, on a new indictment for the crime of disappearance.
Please note that while some media report this is the 4th arrest, others report it is the 3rd. This reporter recalls only one before the arrest of 5 days ago, making this the 3rd, but that could be wrong.
PGR is appealing the federal court's order of release.
One of the points made by the court was that Menchito is an American citizen and as such was denied access to the consul of the United States. However, PGR rejects that, saying consul was with Menchito's attorney after the arrest. PGR's appeal also rejects most of the other key points made by the federal court, but noticeably absent was a mention of a warrant. The lack of a warrant is the major point of contention by the court.
Posted: 01 Jul 2015 04:42 PM PDT
Lucio R. for Borderland Beat
After prosecutors hailed the arrest of "el Menchito", designating him as "number two man in Cartel Jalisco New Generation", (CJNG) he has been ordered released from prison.
Citing a lack of evidence and due process, Nadia Villanueva Vázquez, a federal judge handed down the order to release Rubén Oseguera González aka "El Menchito" son of Nemesio Oseguera "El Mencho" leader of CJNG.
Inexplicably, this marks the third time in 18 months that Menchito has been acquitted of charges and released by federal judges citing either lack of evidence or "illegalities" in due process.
The Toluca federal judge also ordered the release of Menchito's accomplice Julio Alberto Castillo Rodríguez, both were arrested on June 23rd by the Mexican army in Zapopan, Jalisco.
The judge referred to two points in his ruling; that the Attorney General's Office (PGR ) not offer enough evidence to prosecute them on charges of organized crime, storage of firearms and possession of cartridges for the exclusive use of the Army and that federal authorities made "serious illegalities", when they entered the home of suspects without a warrant.
Additionally, the ruling stressed that Oseguera and Castillo were detained illegally by the army, and they were not made available to the SEIDO until nine hours after being arrested, and were denied council until after statements made to PGR.
Menchito had already been transferred to supermax prison, The Federal Social Readaptation Center No. 1 "Altiplano", in the state of Mexico.
Bottom line, if you are a bad guy in Mexico, your rights will be quickly preserved, if you are a good guy, penniless and a threat to the government, you are arrested on false charges, cuffed blindfolded, hooded, flown over the sea for hours, denied an attorney for 15 hours, denied medical attention, denied visitors, and relegated to prison to a fate of probable death, before your case is heard.
|You are subscribed to email updates from Borderland Beat |
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States|